There are a lot of delicious eggplants at the farmer's market right now!! I made this eggplant parmesan for dinner tonight, and we all decided my recipe is a keeper! Visit your local farmer's market this week and pick up the staple for this nutritious meal.This was all that was left when I was ready to take a picture!
- 3-4 small eggplants or 1-2 medium/large eggplants
- 3 organic eggs
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut flakes
- sea salt
- black pepper
- crushed red pepper
- 3-4 cups of organic tomato sauce, preferably homemade with all the fresh tomatoes! (I mixed mine with about 1/2 cup of red wine as well)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- dried basil
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Cut eggplant into thin rounds, approximately 1/8-1/4 inch thick and no more then 2 inches long.
- In a small bowl, beat 3 eggs.
- In another bowl, combine almond flour, shredded coconut, a few shakes of sea salt, a few grinds of black pepper, and a few shakes of crushed red pepper.
- Dip a slice of eggplant into egg mixture and let the excess drip off. Then put eggplant into flour mixture and cover lightly on both sides. Transfer to a greased cookie sheet, and repeat with all eggplant slices.
- Bake eggplant slices for 5 minutes on each side.
- In a large baking dish, put a thin layer of tomato sauce at the bottom of the pan and cover with a layer of eggplant slices.
- Put a layer of tomato sauce (about 1 1/2 cups), followed by about half of the mozzarella cheese, half of the parmesan cheese, and a generous helping of dried basil.
- Put another layer of eggplant slices on top of cheese, and repeat step 8.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until cheese is lightly browned and sauce is bubbling.
- Enjoy! Please let me know how yours turned out!